Friday, June 13, 2008

destructive blessings

Driving in a car....why do I love it so much?

-I love driving with no place to go...not early, not late, just being.

-I love driving to the place where loved ones are, knowing that each mile brings me that much closer to their familiar voices and gentle arms.

-I love driving in the rain, watching raindrops become streams of water that spread their fingers out over my windshield, hugging the dry capsule I stare out from. I watch the road and wait for flashes of lightning, I grip the steering wheel...my knuckles turn white.

I sing songs of thankfulness whenever I encounter crummy weather. I often feel guilty that my joy comes at the expense of another man's misfortune. I have been enjoying the recent unusual June showers that bring...July fireworks? But in Iowa, they are suffering terrible flooding, loss, and even death. I have pondered the loss of the mothers and fathers whose boy scouts were killed in the tornado this week, and wondered at the storms that can be beautiful, yet sinister.

It reminds me of George MacDonald's story At The Back of the North Wind. In the book the boy Diamond must come to terms with the fact that God tells the North Wind to sing her song, and sometimes that means that people will die. The song is chilling but beautiful, the most beautiful thing Diamond has ever heard.

I often feel like Diamond...why must Creation groan and suffer, why must the wind bring rain for the crops and death for the creatures? The Fall has tainted us in more ways than I can ever understand, and certainly will not understand this side of heaven. Perhaps that is why it is the shadowlands, the valley of the shadow of death. When the Son rises, we will see the world for what it is, and the glory and perfection of the Kingdom will be...home. We will know that this is what we have spent our whole lives longing for, this is what we mourned for when the North Wind sang her song. And He, the Father, will wipe away our tears.

No comments: